We chat with Chelsea Parlett-Pelleriti (Chapman University, USA) about the role of memes and emerging social media in communicating science and statistics.
Stuff we cover + links:
- Why Chelsea uses memes and social media for science communication
- Chelsea's use of TikTok
- Chelsea's TikTok profile
- Chelsea's Instagram profile
- How much time should you spend on science communication vs. science research?
- What Twitch is and how this can be used by academics
- Chelsea's Twitch profile
- Dan's livestream of him writing a paper
- Chelsea's profile on YouTube
- Custom Stats themed Quiplash Game Codes: (JNL-HWDN) (DJM-ZDES)
- Is Instagram worth it for Science communication?
- NeuralNetMemes: https://instagram.com/neuralnetmemes/?hl=en
- Have statistical software packages become too easy?
- Chelsea's statisical consultancy service
- brms package in R (bayesian regression): https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/brms/index.html
- The JASP stats package
- The Phantom Tollbooth book
- The lady tasting tea book
- Chelsea on twitter
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the $1 tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)
Episode citation and permanent link
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2020, May 4) "107: Memes, TikTok, and science communication (with Chelsea Parlett-Pelleriti)", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], Retrieved from https://osf.io/8dywb/
Prolific helps researchers find research participants on demand, with a pool of 75,000 active participants in North America and Europe.
Everything Hertz listeners who want to give online sampling a go can get $50 in free Prolific credit that they can use to recruit participants, just go to prolific.co/everythinghertz