Dan and James chat about James' new industry job, why he quit academia, the biggest differences between academia and industry, and why it's crucial for early career researchers to have a plan B.
- James new industry job
- James' medium blog post
- Having a plan B (and plan C) in academia
- Using consulting a bridge to a full-time industry job
- How to get an industry job
- The role of grant success in academia
- More research is now open access than not
- Get 20% off our merch by using the promo code "AUGUST"
- It's now easier to not be employed in academia but still contribute to academia
- The NBA bubble
- The Oura ring
- Differences in work/life balance between academia and industry
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)
Cite this episode
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2020, July 27) "112: Leaving academia", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/DAZ7S