Dan and James answer listener audio questions on indirect costs for research grants, the mind/body problem, and why many academics aren't trained to teach. They also profess their love for the overhead projector
Some more details:
- Should we require universities to justify overhead costs, like heating and electricity?
- Overheads can inflate the costs of grants, some grants provide an additional percentage for overheads but others don’t allow this, which can eat into grants
- Get to know the people in your local grant office!
- Indirect costs at MIT
- A primer on indirect costs and why they are important to MIT
- Does it matter that we address the mind body problem in psychology?
- On the teaching of the history and philosophy of science (or lack thereof) in psychology courses
- Why aren’t academics better equipped to teach?
- The 3Blue1Brown YouTube channel
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month: 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2021, May 3) "131: Long live the overhead projector!", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/8TFKCSupport Everything Hertz