It’s conference season so in this episode Dan and James discuss the ins and outs of scientific conferences.
Here’s what they cover:
- Research parasite award
- How much do you save when you don’t run an fMRI study
- They come up with an even better name than “Research parasite”
- Could the GOP weaponise the open science movement?
- Conspiracy theories
- Attempts to slow down science by taking science out of context
- The Black Goat Podcast
- The conference backchannel
- Contacting people at conferences
- Sitting though seminars (and not falling asleep)
- Twitter conferences
- Good presentations vs. bad presentations
- Starting collaborations at conferences
- Do conference locations matter?
- Periscoping conference presentations
The research parasite award: http://researchparasite.com
The GOP and science reform https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/04/reproducibility-science-open-judoflip/521952/
The Crackpot index http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html
The Brain Twitter conference https://brain.tc
Music credits: Lee Rosevere freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/Support Everything Hertz