We’re joined by Daniele Marinazzo (University of Ghent) to chat about the recently launched overlay journal Neurons, Behavior, Data analysis and Theory (NBDT), for which he on the Editorial Board.
An overlay journal is organised a set of manuscripts that is published and hosted by a seperate entity (in this case, the Arxiv server), a feature that dramatically reduces publication costs. We discuss the unique overlay model, how this can drive article fees to essentially zero, and what it takes to build a good community journal.
Here’s what we cover:
- Why launch a new neuroscience journal and how is it different from currently established journals?
- The unique way that editor’s decide which papers to send out for review
- How does the journal operate when it’s open access and submissions only cost $10?
- How do you build a journal that your target community will recognise as a ‘good’ journal?
- The process of submitting a manuscript to NBDT
- Should journals allow or encourage authors to suggest potential reviewers for their papers?
- Using Twitter to find reviewers based on who’s ‘liked’ the preprint
- Is posting a preprint on twitter actually useful?
- What can neuroscience learn from the field of physics?
- Authorship attribution
- How can a journal better champion early career researchers?
NBDT journal: https://nbdt.scholasticahq.com
Danielle on twitter: https://twitter.com/dan_marinazzo
Dan on twitter https://www.twitter.com/dsquintana
James on twitter https://www.twitter.com/jamesheathers
Everything Hertz on twitter https://www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast
Everything Hertz on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/
Music credits: Lee Rosevere freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the $1 tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)