About this Episode
We chat with Kevin Mitchell (Trinity College Dublin) about what the field of psychology can learn from genetics research, how our research theories tend to be constrained by our research tools, and his new book, "Innate".
Other stuff we cover:
- Kevin's book, "Innate: How the Wiring of Our Brains Shapes Who We Are"
- The story with link between Serotonin transporter gene 5-HTTLPR variation and it’s link to depression
- Gene wide association studies (GWAS) vs. candidate gene studies
- Correcting for multiple tests in GWAS
- What can psychology learn from genetics when it comes to improving methods?
- When did people lose faith in candidate gene studies?
- Common vs. rare gene mutations
- How our theories are shaped by our technology and resources
- The third overlooked area of genetic variation (other than nature and nurture): How the developmental program plays out
- Why intelligence is just an index of how well your brain is put together
- What happened to identifying new therapeutic targets via genetics?
- What Kevin has changed his mind about
- A few papers on mice behavior relevant to what Kevin mentioned, Matias et al (2017), Menegas et al (2018), Zalocusky et al (2016), Miyazaki et al (2018), Bercovici et al (2018), Orsini et al (2018)
- Robustness and Evolvability in Living Systems (Wagner, A)
- The Strategy of the Genes (Waddington, C)
- Cybernetics : Or the Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine (Wiener, N)
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the $1 tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)
Episode citation and permanent link
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2019, June 3) "GWAS big teeth you have, grandmother (with Kevin Mitchell)", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], doi: 10.17605/OSF.IO/RS4HX