About this Episode
Dan and James discuss the pros and cons of transparent peer-review, in which peer review reports are published alongside manuscripts, as a keynote feature at the recent Munin Conference on scholarly publishing.
Here's what they cover and some links:
- Watch the video of this episode on the Everything Hertz YouTube page
- What is transparent peer-review?
- The permanancy of open peer review reports
- CLOCKSS provides a sustainable dark archive to ensure the long-term survival of Web-based scholarly content
- Open peer reviews provide additional info for historians
- What changes when you know that your review is going to be public?
- A Motte-and-bailey castle
- An update and summary of the 450 movement
- Involving patients/user representatives in the peer review and disemination process
- The GRIM test
- What about the publication of peer review reports for papers that are rejected?
- The mega-analysis paper that Dan and James were co-authors on
- Thank you to the organisers of the Munin conference for the invitation!
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- One dollar a month: 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- Five dollars a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2020, December 7) "121: Transparent peer review", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/S2948Support Everything Hertz
Scite is a new tool that helps researchers quickly see how a research paper has been cited and if it has been supported or disputed by subsequent research. Instead of just a list of titles, Scite shows you an excerpt of text from each citing article so you can easily see what each citing paper says.
As an Everything Hertz listener, you can get 30% off their premium package for 12 months, which gives you access to unlimited reports and reference checks. Use the coupon code "HERTZ" to claim this offer. This offer expires on Jan 1, 2021.