The internet should have transformed science publishing, but it didn't. We chat with Michael Eisen (Editor-in-Chief of eLife) about reoptimizing scientific publishing and peer review for the internet age.
Here what we cover and some links:
- How Michael co-founded PLOS
- The book Dan mentioned on the history of the scientific journal
- Why did eLife launch? What did it offer that other journals didn't?
- Nature's recently proposed $11k article processing fee proposal
- eLife's new "author-driven publishing" approach, in which all submitted papers have to be posted as preprints
- Part two of our conversation will be released on January 4, 2021
- Dan [on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- James [on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- Everything Hertz [on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- Everything Hertz [on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
- Our merch store, with mugs, shirts, hoodies + more
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- One dollar a month: a twenty percent discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- Five dollars a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2020, December 21) "122: Reoptimizing scientific publishing for the internet age (with Michael Eisen)", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/USYFCSupport Everything Hertz
Scite is a new tool that helps researchers quickly see how a research paper has been cited and if it has been supported or disputed by subsequent research. Instead of just a list of titles, Scite shows you an excerpt of text from each citing article so you can easily see what each citing paper says.
As an Everything Hertz listener, you can get 30% off their premium package for 12 months, which gives you access to unlimited reports and reference checks. Use the coupon code "HERTZ" to claim this offer. This offer expires on Jan 1, 2021.