We chat with Michele Avissar-Whiting about her role as the Editor-in-chief of the Research Square preprint platform and how she weighs up the benefits and costs of potentially problematic preprints during a pandemic.
Notes, links, and stuff we cover:
- The Journal Ghoul reference in the intro
- Michele’s role as a the editor for a preprint server
- How Research Square works
- Weighing up the urgency of preprints vs. potential danger
- The preprint-to- hype pipeline
- The Scholarly Kitchen piece on knowledge democratization
- Badges for preprints
- The recent withdrawal of a preprint
Everything Hertz on social media
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 per month: A 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 per month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Our outro music is by Lee Rosevere
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2021, August 16) "138: Preprints in the time of coronavirus (with Michele Avissar-Whiting)", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/AU8PWSupport Everything Hertz