About this Episode
We chat with Ashley Farley about her background as an academic librarian, the underrecognised importance of copyright in academic publishing, and her work as a Program Officer at the Gates Foundation
- An academic librarian’s perpsective on the importance of open reseasch
- The importance of copyright in research and what it means signing over your copyright
- The PDF crisis!
- What does a program officer at a grant funding organsiation do?
- Why should funding organisations care about open science?
- Why open access is more than just about acacemic papers, but extends to posters and presentations
- Why can't academics collectively decide to push back against the big publishers?
- The difference between private funders vs. goverment funding agencies
Everything Hertz on social media
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 per month: A 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 per month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Our outro music is by Lee Rosevere
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2021, September 6) "139: Open science from a funder's perspective (with Ashley Farley)", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/FQXSZSupport Everything Hertz