Dan and James discuss a recent study of over one million Swedish men that found that higher resting heart rate late adolescence was associated with an increased risk for subsequent psychiatric illness.
Some of the topics covered:
- How did these authors get such an enormous dataset?
- The benefits of testing so many people
- What we liked about the study (hint: lots of things)
- Measuring cardiovascular efficiency using a cycle ergometer
- The pitfalls of self-reported physical activity
- How the media covered this study
- Contextual factors - does the testing environment induce anxiety?
- Co-morbidity in psychiatry
- What would James do with 200,000 ECGs strips?
The Daily Mail story
Twitter accountSupport Everything Hertz