In this episode, we talk work/life balance for early career researchers. Do you need to work a 70-hour week to be a successful scientist or can you actually have a life outside the lab?
Some of the topics covered:
- An update on "the postdoc that didn't say no" story
- Brian Wansink's response
- De-identifying data in research
- The perils of public criticism
- Criticising the research vs. criticising the person
- Some sage advice from a senior academic on "Making science the centre of your life"
- Look for a boss that won't make insane demands of your time
- How much good work is really coming out of a 70-hour week?
- An old hack Dan used to do to pretend he was working on data when he was really just on twitter
GRIM test calculator
Jordan's follow-up post
Brian Wansink's response
The "Making science the centre of your life" slide
Twitter accountSupport Everything Hertz