Dan and James continue their discussion on work/life balance in academia. They also suggest ways to get your work done within a sane amount of hours as well as how to pick the right lab.
Some of the topics covered:
- Feedback from our last episode
- Why the podcast started in the first place
- The "Red Queen" problem
- Does the "70 hour lab" produce better work?
- Some experiments aren't suited to a 9-5 schedule
- More tips for anonomusly skiving off at work
- What are cognitive limits off focused work?
- Do early career researchers even earn the minimum wage when you factor in the hours worked?
- How James gets things done: Work on one thing at a time until it's done and protect your time
- How Dan gets things done: Pomodoros (40 mins work, 10 minute break), blocking social/news websites
- How do pick a lab to work in?
Twitter accountSupport Everything Hertz