Dan and James discuss why academia tolerates bad presentations and the strange distrust of polished presentations.
Here's what else they discuss...
- James had a Filipino feast https://twitter.com/jamesheathers/status/1188582859528949766?s=20
- We’re approaching 100 episodes!
- ReproducibiliTea is spreading worldwide!
- Why do some people not trust polished presentations?
- The Mike Morrison episode on the Better Poster
- The “I want a refund for a bad presentation” blog post
- What does James consider a ‘good’ presentation?
- Conference apps
- Why don’t we teach PhD students to do things that they’ll need further in their careers, like making presentations and writing emails?
- Vague emails
- James wants to help out an email spammer
- Email vs. Twitter DM
- Anonymous people on the internet
- James discovers coin collecting
- Blocking people on Twitter
- Dan’s got a show recommendation: Money Heist / Paper house
- Why do we hate spoilers?
- Spoiling the end of a movie on Pompeii
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the $1 tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)
Episode citation and permanent linkSupport Everything Hertz