Dan and James discuss the results of this year's Nature survey of PhD students. Despite a majority of students reporting general satisfaction with their decision to undertake a PhD, many described a sense of uncertainty, harassment in the lab, and gruelling work hours.
Things they discuss...
- James met an Australian member of parliament and won a commendation from Sense under Science
- The Doing Good symposium
- The Nature PhD survey
- Bloat in academia
- What people like the most about being a PhD student
- Are we just not hearing that much from people who are having a good time?
- Financial pressure in PhDs
- Harassment and discrimination in PhD programs
- Alternative academic careers
- James' cat whisker collection
- South Korean kids turn one when they’re born
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you're supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn't include in our regular episodes)
Episode citation and permanent link
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2019, November 18) "The chaotic state of doctoral research", Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/CDZRA, Retrieved from https://osf.io/cdzra/